|Gallery • Tutorial|
Pause Tech is an intermediate trick used in Super Mario Maker. This trick allowed the player to perform various different tricks by pausing the game.
How It Works
Pause Tech exploited a likely coding error that resulted in some entities or actions incorrectly processing (or not processing) in the frames before and after pausing.
Among other things, it enabled Mario to:
- Run slightly deeper into hitboxes before taking damage. (Partially patched)
- Pick up a POW while standing on it and entering a door.
- Activate a P-Switch while standing on it and entering a door.
- Collect a power-up without actually powering up.
- Unlock a key door while entering a different door.
- Jump while entering a door.
- Land on Yoshi after entering a Warp Pipe.
Note: This variation will still work.
On a level with a frame-perfect timer, pausing the game on the last frame will allow the player to save time on their run. This does not allow the player to complete a level when they would have timed-out otherwise and is entirely world record based. Pausing on the last frame will cause the players time to end in .985.